Thursday, November 01, 2018

Cancon Thursday - Having An Average Weekend

If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you probably noticed that last weekend, I attended Blissdom Canada 2018 in Toronto.  It's a conference for women (mostly, there are always a couple of men in attendance) who blog, are entrepreneurs, and/or are social media influencers...  this post is not about that but I needed to mention Blissdom Canada for context.

In the mail last week, my pre-ordered months ago copy of Paul Myers' new book, The Kids in the Hall: One Dumb Guy arrived.  I took it with me, hoping I'd have some down time in a fancy hotel to sit back, put my feet up and dig into it.  Alas, that was not the case.  I returned to Kingston with the book unopened.  When I got home, I dragged my bags into my room, threw them onto my bed and very slowly started to sort out my stuff and unpack. 

Everything was going well, I was organizing my chaos and hanging out with Gracie. When I came upon the book however, everything came to a halt.  I sat down on the side of my bed, intending to just read the forward (written by Seth Meyers).  Before I knew it, my feet were up and I was into it.  My bedroom looked like my luggage exploded, I had a bazillion things to do before I went out to see Bahamas that evening but I didn't care.  All I cared about was Paul's book about the Kids In The Hall.

When the show originally aired, I was a huge fan.  I never had an opportunity to get to Toronto for a taping of the show (Mark used to go, he lived in Toronto and was friends with the guys in Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet but that was before we met).  My friends and I would look forward to each show.  We'd always tape it (yes tape, on our VCRs) so we could rewatch our favourite sketches.

Reading about the Kids, hearing their story from someone who was there, who was their friend (and who is a terrific writer) is such a treat.  Eventually, I put the book down, unpacked and went to see Bahamas.  I plan to finish the book this weekend (I can't really risk picking it up again this week, I have too much to do - yes, so far it's that good).

If you're a fan of the Kids in the Hall, or just a comedy fan who enjoys biographies, pick it up.  It's a great read about a group of super talented Canadian guys by another talented Canadian guy.  Because it's Cancon Thursday, I'm going to share with you the theme song from Kids in the Hall:  Having An Average Weekend by Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet.

Enjoy xo


No comments: