Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Way Back Wednesday - That's How I Got To Memphis

My brother and I joke that we grew up in a house with two kinds of music:  country AND western.  Now that's not entirely true.  My mother had records by Sonny and Cher, Cass Elliott, The Beatles, Al Hirt, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Don Ho and Elvis (not Costello) among others.  It was probably true though that growing up in the 1970's, we heard a lot of country music on the radio.

Tom T Hall's voice was one we heard a lot of.  It wasn't until a few years ago, at the end of the series finale of HBO's "The Newsroom" that I was reminded of him.  His songs and great voice were overlooked by me.  I had, in my late 20's, gone back and explored the country music of my childhood but had missed Mr Hall for some reason.  This song, performed by the cast of the Newsroom, is a classic.  Today, for Way Back Wednesday, I'm going to share the original 1968 version.  It's 50 years gold but sure doesn't sound it and the lyrics are timeless.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do xo

If you tell me that she's not here
I'll follow the trail of her tears
That's how I got to Memphis
That's how I got to Memphis



No comments: