Saturday, November 17, 2018

another Saturday

I'm finding Saturdays to be challenging.

Not in general mind you, just as they relate to this NaBloPoMo thing.  I try to make Saturday be a day for me and I sort of shut my brain off, do some errands, see friends, simple stuff.  Actually having to compose something thoughtful and moderately entertaining is a big challenge for me on Saturday.

This afternoon, I was a big lump.  I hopped onto my bed and under my fuzzy throw with the new Jeff Tweedy memoir.  So far it's very good.  I like the way he writes, it's very similar to the way he speaks if you've ever heard him telling stories from the stage.  He's smart and funny and insightful and I think that the rest of the book is going to be compelling.  It's called, "Let's Go (So We Can Get Back)" and if you're a music fan at all (and particularly if you're a fan of Wilco / Jeff Tweedy / Tweedy ...) it's worthwhile picking up.

For extra excitement on a Saturday night, I have been working on my will.  I hate to admit that I don't have one but it's true.  Mark didn't have one either.  When he died, it was pretty easy for me to apply to be the trustee for his estate.  Our situation was very simple, I found the forms online, knew where our marriage certificate was -- note to you gentle reader, if you're married, always know where that is, you'll need it for Service Canada should your spouse die!!  I know that some folks would go to a lawyer for that but somehow, I was able to find the forms I needed online, fill them out and take them to the courthouse.  It cost me $12 to have someone notarize them.  I hate to think what a lawyer would charge.

Anyway, when I was at Blissdom Canada a few weeks ago, a woman spoke about her company, Willful.  They help you make a will online.  It's pretty easy, not super expensive and completely legal in Ontario.  I think it's legal in Alberta too and they are working with estate lawyers across the country to extend it to the other provinces and territories.  I have a couple of things I need to add to my forms but if I wanted to, I could it print it off right now, get some witnesses to sign it and it would be done.  Simple.  I'm not being reimbursed for this post, I just think it's a great product and it's costing me less than half what my lawyer's office quoted me when I asked them about wills.

On that happy note, I'll leave you with Jeff Tweedy performing "Let's Go Rain" on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.  enjoy xo


2 comments:

Nicole MacPherson said...

Marriage certificate...I have no idea. None! Eeep. I should probably look into this...

Peggy said...

I still had my wedding planning binder on the shelf in my office so I knew exactly where my certificate was. When I have mentioned this to a lot of my friends, they admit to having no idea where theirs is. Good idea to keep it with your wills and other important documents.