Friday, November 02, 2018

Not Guilty, Just Pleasure - The Dirt

Well, it's been quite a week.  Quite a couple of weeks actually. Between losing my Uncle two weeks ago, work being really busy at the moment, me being out of town for a few days and Gracie not feeling super spry, it's been challenging.  There have also been a lot of weird little things that were easy to resolve but time consuming and a bit annoying.

I'll share with you a recent example.  I woke up yesterday morning, sort of in a rush from the get go.  I was only working during the morning so I could take Gracie up to Sydenham for her monthly vet visit / medicated bath treatment in the afternoon.  I wanted to get into work a bit earlier than I usually do. 

All was going well until I started up my vehicle.  Juliana Hatfield was blasting out of the speakers but I could hear a weird whine coming from the engine over her sweet voice.  I turned the music off and listened to it. It was my hope that as the engine warmed up, it would stop.  It did not.  I turned the engine off.  I figured it must be like a computer, just reboot and hope for the best, right?  wrong.  I restarted the vehicle and the same noise was happening.  None of my warning lights were on so I figured it would be okay to chance driving it.  Slowly I backed out of the driveway.  It was working okay, just noisy.  There was no part of the sound that felt good to me but I needed to get to work and it would be another 90 minutes before I could call my mechanic.

As I accelerated along the way, it got louder.  It was very very loud as I turned corners.  I was starting to think it might be related to steering... I was able to get to work but was very concerned about how safe it would be to drive up and back to Sydenham, in the rain, with Gracie in the back seat.  When I talked my mechanic he agreed with my diagnosis that it was probably the steering.  He told me pop in on my way home and he'd check the fluid.  Sure enough, it was low.  He topped it up and will figure out where the leak is when I go in for my oil change next week.  If I've been the victim of squirrels again (they ate a really important plastic doo-dad while I was parked at a friend's house about this time last year) I'll be super pissed.... btw, have I ever mentioned how awesome my mechanic is?  He's honest and kind and does things like that on the fly for you, a genuinely good guy.

Something that has been helping me this week is listening to Waxahatchee.  Like, a lot...helping a lot, listening a lot.  Loving them, a lot.  They remind of a lot the bands I listened to in the 1990's, not just female led bands like Jale, Velocity Girl or Veruca Salt either, like Built to Spill too... they have a great sound and the more I hear, the more I get into it.

So, today, for not guilty, just pleasure day, I'm going to share with you "The Dirt" by Waxahatchee.  This particular performance was recorded live on KEXP in 2015.  Enjoy it and have a good, car trouble free weekend kids xo



No comments: