Saturday, August 21, 2004

sleepy saturday

I've been up for a while but I'm pretty groggy right now. I was having a weird dream and it woke me up at around 5:30 a.m. and I haven't been able to get back to sleep.

I'll try to do a proper post later but in the meantime, here's last week's Saturday 8:

Hurricane

1. We just went through hurricane Charley. Have you ever been through a hurricane or other major storm?

I have never lived through a hurricane but I did survive the Ice Storm of January 1998. Some pretty interesting footage can be viewed here if you're interested.

2. Do severe storms freak you out or do you consider them cool?

Severe weather fascinates me. If I am at home and watching it through my own window with a cup of tea, I love it. The only thing that freaks me out is freezing rain because it's so difficult to get around in. Part of that too may be a result of having lived through the Ice Storm. Anytime the weather calls for Freezing Rain, I just want to stock up on candles and peanut butter and hunker down at home until it's over.

3. Are you the type of person who plans things out, getting supplies early, securing your residence, etc. Or do you tend not to worry about those things and just go with the flow?

I'm a planner and I tend to keep the house well stocked in case of a storm. In general, I just keep the house well stocked anyway, it just happened to have paid off in spades when the Ice Storm hit.

4. I have some friends in the Netherlands that have no clue what a hurricane is like, they don't even get tornadoes. How do you explain a hurricane to someone with no concept of one?

I don't know that you could other than to tell them that it's a super duper severe rain storm with insanely high winds.

5. Several people were killed because they refused to evacuate when told to. If you were advised to evacuate your home, would you stay anyway or would you go?

I would probably get to a safe place, I think it's foolish to stay and try to ride something like that out at home.

6. Lots of people were out in their yards and streets having hurricane parties before the storm. Do you celebrate unusual things like storms?

For sure. Circumstances like that can bring out the best in folks.

7. One couple said they were moving out of the state after getting hit by Charley. Does weather factor into where you choose to live?

Nope.

8. Weather personnel and news crews throw themselves to the mercy of the storms they chase. If you had the chance, would you take a job as a storm chaser?

Definitely not.

One thing that made me smile today: It's too early to tell.

No comments: