Saturday, August 14, 2004

american music

I've been listening to the violent femmes this morning and while I like the song, American Music, I noticed during the DNC that American music isn't usually the best choice. We were paying particular attention to the musical intros and outros that they used on the various speakers at the convention and, more often that not, when Mark and I would discuss a song we thought would be appropriate for a particular speaker or theme, it was not an American song (and I guess it's not a good idea to use music from another country when you're holding a political convention for the states huh?). Don't get me wrong, overall, I like a lot of American music but looking the big picture, the majority of what I'd call my "favourite" music is produced by folks who are definitely not from south of the border.

I was up pretty early this morning and am having a great day so far. I'm just finishing my laundry and completed my weekly bathroom sanitation ritual. Honestly, cleaning the house is just so gross. Admittedly, when you do it regularly, it's not as gross as when you do it once in a while but it's still pretty nasty. Many women I know would not like to have someone else cleaning their house. I am not one of them. At one time I thought that it would be completely decadent and lazy to have a cleaning person come in once a week and do the big stuff but the older I get, the more I see the value in it. If I could afford it, I would totally do it. It would be such a better value for my money and my time to have someone else do it. If that makes me lazy, big deal, at least I wouldn't have to clean my house!!

One thing that made me smile today: Early morning shopping. I got to the grocery store shortly after it opened this morning and it was like shopping in a commercial. The shelves were perfectly stocked and the produce department looked like something out of a movie. Also, there were a minimal number of idiots in the aisles which made for one of the more pleasant grocery shopping experiences I've had in a good long while.

No comments: