Sunday, August 08, 2004

home and dry

We didn't see much rain today (just a few drops on the windows here and there) but we're home now. Joe's back home too and he seems glad to be here. I'm sure he's happy to see his own bed tonight. If I'm not mistaken, he's asleep in it already and we've only been home for 30 minutes.

I'm kind of tired right now, today was a bit of a whirlwind. We left the house at around 8 a.m. and pulled into the Leslie Street IKEA at around 10:20 a.m. In retrospect, we should have stayed and done our shopping then rather than bopping into customer service for the replacement brackets we needed and going for breakfast but we didn't. Hindsight is 20/20 isn't it? Instead, we got back there late in the afternoon and it was insanely busy.

Our "normal" IKEA is in Kanata, about 90 minutes from our house. It's not as big or as busy as the store in North York but a similar phenomena occurs at both stores. We've noticed that many large families (like mom, dad, granny and gramps, aunties and uncles and tonnes of kids) visit IKEA on Sundays as if it were a Zoo or other attraction. I swear, it's like watching visitors to another planet. They gawk and stare at the displays and don't pay particular attention to what they are doing or where they are going. On 2 occasions yesterday I had my ass grabbed, unintentionally I'm sure, by little old ladies who were just not paying attention to their surroundings. I also noticed that they weren't buying anything.

For the first time in a long time, we did a bunch of errands right downtown. You could feel the temperature rising as we walked around but there was still a nice breeze so it wasn't too bad. The cooler weather of the past few days really had me spoiled though. I don't mind it at all and am almost a little sad (just a little, not a lot) that the hot, humid weather is on it's way back.

One thing that made me smile today: A toasted poppy seed twister at Bagel World. I rarely eat bagels anymore. In fact, the last time I had a toasted twister was probably in November (you just cannot get them here in town). We sat at the counter and had coffee (yes, I had a cup of coffee for the first time in ages and ages) and toasted twisters with lox and onion and tomato and a little cream cheese. It was beyond delicious and was well worth the wait!!

No comments: