Friday, December 27, 2002

I can't believe how insane things still are. I went out this morning to visit some friends for our "holiday visit." They live in the west end of town and I live in the north end of town so it was a bit of a drive, not bad but not across the street if you know what I mean. So driving over there, it was pretty early and the traffic was steady but not bad. Driving home several hours later it was like they emptied all the local retirement homes (and if you have ever been to Kingston, you'll know that this is a lot) and gave vehicles to all of the residents.

It was quite scary. Lots of old guys in hats driving too slow...or turning without signalling or...signalling and not doing anything at all...or, my favourite, just stopping in the middle of a busy street for no apparent reason. I understand that these people just want to keep some of their independence but I hope that when I get to that point in my life, I can take cabs where and when I want. I don't want to be so frightened when I'm driving that I'm a danger to myself and everyone else around. Yikes!!

The visit with my friends was very nice. I don't see them as often as I'd like. Every year we try to get together more often and every year, we fail at it miserably and end up just hooking up at Christmas.

We ventured back to the grocery store tonight to get some odds and ends of things that we were running out of, it was a pretty quick trip. We took Mark's dad with us and he got a few things too. Mark was keen to go to the sales and check out the "Boxing Week" specials but I really didn't feel like dealing with that much humanity so I suggested that we wait until Sunday when things calm down a bit. The traffic was intense when we were coming out of the grocery store. Kingston doesn't have much a "rush hour" (it's more like a "rush 15 minutes") but traffic was completely congested in the neighbourhood where the grocery store is located. Luckily we don't need to go anywhere or do anything in particular for the next few days so we can just stay put. As always, I'm glad to be home.

No comments: