Wednesday, July 14, 2004

moving right along

We moved our offices again today. Today has been the most humid day of the summer so far, of course.

We work in the basement of a really old building, there are dehumidifiers everywhere so I'm sure you can imagine how damp it is at the best of times. Today we had the doors open, the windows open, dozens of people were coming and going and they were all sweating and creating more moisture. It actually felt like it might be raining in basement a couple of times. Fortunately, the worst of it is behind us now. Hopefully we won't have to move again anytime soon. It's just not fun anymore.

The company who does our moves loans us these huge wooden packing crates. Of course, when they move them, sometimes they just get dumped wherever they can find a spot. My office mate had one plunked smack dab in the middle of her cubicle. I was helping her move it out of the path of traffic and dragged the corner of it over my big toe, pulling part of the nail with it. It didn't actually hurt too much when I did it, it just bled and bled and bled. By the time I got home, my whole foot was throbbing and I sat with it elevated for most of the evening. Yes I am a wimp, sue me!! Anyway, after I soaked it and removed this huge chunk of broken nail, it felt much better. It's still sore and it's really ugly looking but at least it'll start to heal now.

Unfortunately, my injury has wrecked my Queer Eye Pedicure. That's right, QEP!! I've started tivo'ing Queer Eye and am totally addicted to the Fab 5. I just love them so much, especially Carson. He reminds me of this friend of mine who is particularly pushy and kind of bitchy. Now, I don't think he's pushy and bitchy but there is something about him that reminds me of her. Anyway, on Sundays, I've taken to giving myself a pedicure while watching Queer Eye. It's a lot of fun and very relaxing and my toes always turn out really nice when I'm being inspired by the Fab 5.

One thing that made me smile today: My new desk. I have a huge (I mean massive) cubicle. It's like a small office and it's really lovely. There is much more surface space for spreading things out, I have a window with a deep sill, I have drawers that lock and cupboards that lock. It's very spiffy. Unfortunately, I didn't have any time today to put things where they should be so stuff is just shoved into corners willy-nilly. Hopefully once I get past my deadline this week, I'll have some time to spiff it up a bit. It's very nice!!

No comments: