Thursday, April 01, 2004

radio radio

I love radio. I'm a radio junkie I guess. I love non-commercial radio, community run or publicly funded. One of the things I love most about the internet is the ability to find community radio stations from far away places that my radio would not be able to pick up. For the past day though, I've broken from my usual "no commercial radio ever" rule and have been listening to Radio Air America. Ads and all, this is terrific radio. It's refreshing to hear folks in the states talking candidly, in public, about how fucked up the shit is in Washington. I mean, I know that no government anywhere is without it's flaws but I'm thankful, on a regular basis that I don't live down south of the border.

Not that things aren't messed up around here. I was reading in the Toronto Star yesterday that they arrested some kids in connection with the anti-Semitic vandalism that happened over the March break. I was saddened, but not shocked, to hear that it was just kids. It struck particularly close to home for us because the cemetery that they smashed up is where Mark's mum is buried (fortunately, her stone was not touched) and Mark's uncle is a member at the Pride of Israel Synagogue which was vandalized. I'm not religious, but I was really upset about this because of the ignorance that is involved in acts like this. My heart broke as I thought about the little old people who would have been going to the cemetery on Sunday morning as part of their weekly ritual, and discovered the damage. People who do things like this are just bullies and I'm happy to hear that they have found and will be prosecuted.

On a happier note, my cold is getting better, little by little and I should be back to good as new by the weekend. Here's hoping anyway.

No comments: