Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Last night was a lot of fun. We had a wonderful dinner with my brother and his new sweetie. The meal was absolutely delicious and the company was fab. We ended up being up way past our bedtime though. We drove them back to my folks’ place at around 9 p.m. (our bedtime). My folks live about 20 minutes from us so it took almost an hour to go there and back.

Because we were already up late and were kind of keyed up, we decided to watch Coronation Street (which we had taped earlier in the afternoon – I didn’t want to wait any longer than absolutely necessary to see Richard kill Maxine!). They handled the murder with little gore, I thought. It was like, less Tarantino, more Hitchcock...not a lot of blood and it was over quickly.

Our Maxine - dead as a doornail!

Afterwards, we watched the result of the wildcard round of Canadian Idol, we had also taped it earlier. Both 22-minute shows were tension filled. I was happy to see that not only did Emily not get killed (which was Richard’s full intention – Maxine was just an unfortunate, but necessary, victim), our very own Ryan Malcolm made it into the top 11. The votes were too close apparently so they decided to take on an extra finalist and do a top 11 instead of a top 10. I think that both choices were fabulous!

Toya Alexis and Ryan Malcolm

I did not get into American Idol at all but Canadian Idol has got me, hook, line and sinker. It’s so nice to see a guy from my hometown (and even my "home" suburb actually – Amherstview – where my folks’ still live) make it so far. I also think that the caliber of the talent is much higher than in American Idol. I generally hate this type of thing but the kids in the Canadian version, with a couple of exceptions, can really sing. It’ll be interesting to see how much further Ryan goes.

No comments: