Sunday, March 16, 2003

It's so warm today. Spring is in the air and the snow is melting. Everything is slushy and drippy. We have a bird feeder in our back yard and I put these sunflower seeds in it for the birds. The overflow of the seeds and the discarded shells have created a huge black crater in the deep white snow in the area beneath the feeder. This morning when I got up, I saw this big ass squirrel sitting in the middle of the crater, pigging out on sunflower seeds. He couldn't get into the feeder because it's on a shepherd's hook and it's "squirrel-proof." The birds are going crazy out in the yard too. We have these lovely red-headed finches out there and they sing beautifully as they fly back and forth from the spruce trees to the feeder. It's nice to see the neighbourhood critters back in action.

Yesterday, we saw the funniest thing, I am still kicking myself for not having my camera with me. We were on our way home and we drove by this little old lady up the street. She was crouched in the street in front of her house, chipping away at the ice with a butter knife. I know that we shouldn't have laughed (and I did think it was a little dangerous for her to be where she was - after all, we live on a very busy street with buses and all) but it was so unbelievable that you just had to laugh. I'm not sure how long she'd been out there but she had quite a long (albeit thin) trough chipped in the ice. On my way in here (to the computer room) I looked out the window and saw one of our neighbours hacking at his driveway with a huge pick thing. A little bit of warmth and sunshine just makes people go insane I guess.

No comments: