Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Way Back Wednesday - The Most Beautiful Girl

The Most Beautiful Girl - Charlie Rich
Happy Birthday to my beautiful nana, Evelyn Forbes. We lost her in 1997, and I still think about her every day. She was a wonderful, smart, kind, loving woman. As much as I miss her, I feel grateful to have many lovely memories of her and our family gatherings on Jasper Avenue in Smiths Falls. It's true when they say that no one is ever gone as long as we remember them. 

In addition to Nana's birthday, it's also Wednesday.  Today's Way Back Wednesday song is another country classic from my 1970s childhood: The Most Beautiful Girl by the silver fox himself, Charlie Rich. The song was a big hit for Mr. Rich. Written by Billy Sherrill, Norro Wilson, and Rory Bourke was No. 1 in 1973 on numerous charts in the States and here in Canada. 

Here's an interesting bit of trivia for you (which I found on Wikipedia): Tom Waits, who was an opening act for Rich in the 1970s, mentions him in the song "Putnam County" from his album Nighthawks at the Diner with the lyric: "The radio's spitting out Charlie Rich... He sure can sing, that son of a bitch."

Tom Waits was not wrong now, was he? I hope this brings back some fun memories for you. Happy hump days kiddos xo

I lost my head and I said some things
Now comes the heartaches that morning brings
I know I'm wrong, and I couldn't see
I let my world slip away from me


No comments: