Thursday, March 30, 2023

Can Con Thursday - Alcohol and Pills

 
Fred Eaglesmith - Lipstick Lies and Gasoline
What feels like a lifetime ago now, we had a restaurant. It was only open for a year, but it was a good year. Opening a restaurant with your own money is a challenging thing to do, but I was always glad that we tried it. 

There are certain records that I will forever associate with our restaurant (Ida's Kitchen). Mornings would always start with Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" (there was something haunting about hearing the record's opening in a dark basement). Eventually, as the day moved along, we'd get to Fred Eaglesmith's "Lipstick, Lies and Gasoline" album. Whenever I listen to it, I think about Ida's; I suspect I always will.

Today, for Can Con Thursday, I'm sharing "Alcohol and Pills" from that 1997 record. Fred makes the point that, no matter what your life looks like to folks on the outside, you never know what's going on inside of a person. Some of us struggle with addiction, and some love those who struggle with it. I don't know anyone who hasn't been touched in some way by it. You can hear the compassion in Fred's voice as he sings so I imagine his life has been touched by it too. It's a moving song, and I hope you give it a listen.

Sometimes, somebody just doesn't wake up one day
Sometimes, it's a heart attack, sometimes they just don't say
But they pulled poor old Hank Williams out of a Cadillac Coupe de Ville
He ended up on alcohol and pills


No comments: