Friday, March 10, 2023

Finally Friday - Rapture

Rapture
Whenever I hear the word rapture, I think of the opening of an episode of the HBO series, Six Feet Under. This particular episode begins showing a truck filled with sex dolls (which had been inflated with helium) which were being transported to an event space. The truck had an open top, and the dolls were secured with netting. At some point, in traffic, the netting becomes unhooked, and the dolls are released and float up into the sky. The midday sun shines brightly, and a woman in a neighbouring car thinks she sees people ascending into heaven. She attempts to join them and is hit by a car, dying instantly. It was one of the most memorable (and funny) scenes from any TV show I have ever seen.

So, for Finally Friday, and in honour of the official start of March Break around here, I decided to share a song that was on the charts in March 1981. In 1981 I was in 8th grade, and I spent a lot of time listening to the radio and buying records. My format of choice back then was the simple 45. More than likely, I spent a good chunk of my March break that year babysitting, earning the money I needed to buy more records.

If you haven't figured it out yet, today's song is Rapture by Blondie. It was the second (and final) single from their album Autoamerican (the other single was their version of "The Tide is High"). Apparently, it was the first song with rap vocals to make it to No. 1 on the charts in the US. It made it to No. 3 up here in Canada.

I hope everyone taking a March break next week has fun and stays safe if they are travelling. Slowly, the snow is starting to melt around here, and we've had just enough sunny weather this week to make it feel like spring might actually be just around the corner (fingers crossed!).

Enjoy the weekend, kiddos and watch out for floating sex dolls xo

'Cause the man from Mars is through with cars
He's eatin' bars, yeah wall to wall
Door to door, hall to hall
He's gonna eat 'em all
Rapture, be pure
Take a tour through the sewer
Don't strain your brain, paint a train
You'll be singin' in the rain
Said don't stop to punk rock


No comments: