Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Way Back Wednesday - I've Got a Tiger By The Tail

Buck Owens - Tiger By The Tail
Are you tired of me sharing songs from my Country and Western childhood yet? Well, too bad for you. Here we go again with another tune from back in the day.

For Way Back Wednesday, I'm sharing a song by Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. "I've Got A Tiger By The Tail" was released in December 1964. Written by Buck with Harlan Howard, the idea for the song came when he spoted an Esso gas station sign (their slogan at that time was "Put a tiger in your tank..."). The rest, as they say, is history.

The song became the sixth number one hit for Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. When I was growing up in the 70's, it was still popular and I remember singing along with the radio whenever I heard it.

The other day, someone on the vintage Kingston Facebook group, shared a photo of the old Wilmott Dairy (located at the old traffic circle, now Bath and Westdale). Seeing the photo brought back memories of my favourite ice cream flavour, Tiger Tail. Once in a while, we'd go to Wilmott's but my dad would take us over to the Mack Street Dairy more often. I always had Tiger Tail ice cream cone, whichever place we ended up at. 

I hope you enjoy this version of the Buck Owens classic. This clip appears to be from the early 1990's and I'm guessing it's Austin City Limits. I could be wrong so, if you know the origins of this performance, please let me know.

Have a good hump day kiddos xo

Well, every night you drag me where the bright lights are found
There ain't no way to slow you down
I'm as 'bout as helpless as a leaf in a gale
And it looks like I've got a tiger by the tail

No comments: