Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Because It's Tuesday - week of March 21

Bowling Green
Happy Tuesday to you. I hope you are doing well on this second official day of spring 20023. Here in Kingston, we still have a lot of snow on the ground (although it is very slowly melting), and I've yet to see a robin (my mum has seen one in her yard just west of me), but the calendar tells me that it's spring again.

It's been a long, dark winter, and I'm ready to see green grass, leafy trees, and maybe some flowers here and there. I don't think that's asking a lot. If I'm patient, it'll happen; I know it will because it's inevitable. 

So, on Tuesdays, I share favourite covers of mine. Today I'm sharing a brilliant cover of an Everly Brother's song, Bowling Green. Written by Terry Slater and Jacqueline Erte, it was released by the Everly Brothers in 1967 (so it's as old as yours truly; Neko Case (and her Boyfriends) released her version in 1997. Both songs are fantastic. 

One time, many years ago, I made a quick trip to Bowling Green. I was visiting someone in Nashville, and we drove to Bowling Green one afternoon. It was nice to get out of Nashville for a bit, and we bought a bunch of lottery tickets when we got to Kentucky for fun (they were not legal to sell or buy in Tennessee back then - not sure if that's changed or not in the years since).  We didn't win anything, sadly.

I've always enjoyed this song and hope you do too. Have a good day and let me know if you spot a robin this week xo

Kentucky sunshine makes the heart unfold
It warms the body
And I know it touches the soul
Bluegrass is fine
Kentucky owns my min



No comments: