Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Way Back Wednesday - William It Was Really Nothing

It's hump day today.  It's a short week though so perhaps hump day doesn't start until late this afternoon.  Ugh, not sure how that works in a four day week.

Either way, that means that it's Way Back Wednesday so I'm sharing a golden oldie with you today. Not that I have an official theme this week (although it's starting to feel like I do).  When I found the song I posted yesterday (Morrissey's cover of "Wedding Bell Blues"), I read through some of the comments on YouTube and was mildly amused.  Someone commented that Bill from Wedding Bell Blues was really William from "William It Was Really Nothing" (perhaps because when the Smiths performed "William It Was Really Nothing" on Top of the Pops all those years ago, he had "Marry Me" written on his chest).  Legend has it that William from the song was Billy Mackenzie, singer of the Associates.

Same guy, not the same guy, after I read that, I had "William It Was Really Nothing" in my head for a couple of days and decided that it would be my Wednesday song this week.  It does fit nicely with yesterday's song so, voila!

It was originally released during the summer of 1984 and the b-side on the single was "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want." Hope you enjoy it and have a happy day kiddos xo



No comments: