Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Because It's Tuesday - week of May 7

When I was a kid, I liked Bobbie Gentry songs.  She told great stories in her songs and that appealed to me.  Thinking about it now as an adult, it might have been because my dad was a big fan of Red Sovine so I had a soft spot for story songs (we can talk about the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald again sometime).

Bobbie GentryThe song "Ode to Billie Joe" was everywhere when I was a kid.  I can remember singing along with it every time it was on the radio (singing "Tallahatchee Bridge" was fun).  At some point, Robbie Benson starred in a movie based on the song.  I didn't get to see until years later because I was too young to watch something so scandalous.  A couple of months ago, I heard a cover of "Ode to Billie Joe" by Mercury Rev featuring Lucinda Williams.

I love Bobbie Gentry and Mercury Rev and of course the dynamite Lucinda Williams so for this week's cover (because it is Tuesday), I'll share it with you.  It's not a video but the audio is excellent. This version is a bit more haunting and sad the original, I think it's just amazing.  Hope you enjoy it xo



No comments: