Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Because It's Tuesday - Week of August 7

So yesterday would have been my 9th wedding anniversary which means it was 19 years ago yesterday that I met Mark. We got hitched up in our back yard, 10 years after we met (I wore a dress but changed into the pictured t-shirt after the ceremony, he did get married in the "groom" shirt - we both wore flip flops - it was a casual affair).


Unlike the past couple of years, I wasn't totally crippled by grief yesterday.  On years one and two after his death, I spent the biggest chunk of the summer just dreading August.  That hasn't happened this year.  I did have a little sad moment in the afternoon, thinking about our wedding and what a crazy, fun day we had, what a great party it was.  The dark cloud passed though, and I'm glad that I seem to be at a place now where I can get through those milestone days and not be a complete wreck.  Being able to remember the good without getting mired down in the bad feels weird but good.  That's progress friends. 

A couple of weeks after I met Mark, I went to visit him in Toronto.  He took me to the Fred Eaglesmith picnic that weekend.  I had a fantastic time, we hung out with his wonderful old friends Kim and Karen Deschamps.  It was a perfect summer day... we saw Fred and Oh Susannah and Washboard Hank's kid show...  Fred was just one of the many artists we shared an admiration for when we met.  We often had his albums (taped onto cassette for the stereo in his ancient Toyota Tercel he affectionately called Baby). Wilder than Her was a song that always resonated with us because, really, he was wilder than I was at the time. He was 15 years older than me and had lived a bit of a crazy life in a big city.  I was a small town girl and at that point, the craziest thing I'd probably done was hook up with him.

Anyway, as it's Tuesday, I'm sharing a cover and it's a Fred song.  I know that Dar Williams did a lot better than Fred ever did with this song and while I think it's a very nice version (and many folks prefer it), I actually love Fred's version.  So, in honour of my anniversary, I'm sharing a lovely cover of "Wilder Than Her," enjoy xo


No comments: