Friday, August 17, 2018

Not Guilty, Just Pleasure - Impossible Germany

I don't think I talk about Wilco enough.

Honestly, I don't think you can talk to Wilco too much, or listen to them too much either for that matter.

I always have some Wilco in almost all of my playlists (not CanCon ones though, obvs).  One of the things I respect about them is that they are constantly evolving, they change things up with each new release and don't sit on their laurels.

When I was younger, I did not understand or appreciate long songs.  They seemed like a waste of time to me, and any long solos in the middle seemed self-indulgent, masturbatory actually.  Sometime in the 1990's, my opinion on that changed.  Thank goodness it did or I likely would not have given the song I'm sharing with you a second listen.

"Impossible Germany," from the Sky Blue Sky album is one of my favourite songs, not just of Wilco's, but in general.  It's brilliant and this particular performance of it (live on KCRW) is fantastic.  Watching Nels play will give you goosebumps, it does me, every time.

Sit back and be ready for today's not guilty, just pleasure tune... I think it's impossible to not love it, hope you agree xo


No comments: