Wednesday, May 28, 2008

mid week observations


sweet peppers
Originally uploaded by Julep67
how is your week going? quickly? mine too!

Earlier today, as I said goodbye for the day to a colleague who works a reduced appointment, I was reminded of a Roger Waters lyric, "Life is long but it goes fast."

My week's been flying by but I thought I should stop for a moment and make note of a few things that caught my attention this week:

1. The death of Sydney Pollock. I enjoyed some of his films but mostly I'll remember him as Will's dad on Will & Grace. I like to think that he must have been a lot like George Truman - a sweet, lovely, funny man.

2. R Kelly's trial. FINALLY. Send him to prison as soon as possible. I cannot believe how long this has dragged on or that folks still listen to his music. A few years ago, when I first heard "we r in need of a musical revolution," I shouted my agreement with Esthero when she sang, "Tell me why - A grown man can rape a little girl, but we - Still hear his shit on the radio - A grown-ass man can videotape a little girl, but we - Still see his mug up on our video screens" It's bullshit and it needs to be dealt with soon.

3. The Canadian weather station on Mars. A very cool reason to be proud to be a Canadian during a week when some of us may be ashamed of the actions that our government have taken in the past.

No comments: