Friday, May 30, 2003

Totally amazing, legendary, rock and roll heart throb, Robbie Robertson is on my campus today. Not only that, he was in my office this morning. Well, not my cubicle exactly but he was in the building. Unfortunately, I was at the gym when he was here so I didn't get a glimpse of him. He was on campus receiving an honourary degree during the convocation ceremonies. In a way, I'm almost glad I wasn't here because I may have just been caught inadvertently swooning. I don't get like this often, over the years I've met a tonne of really famous musicians, authors, politicians, etc. I don't often find myself potentially swooning but hey, this is Robbie Robertson!
Robbie Robertson


Now that the Robbie moment has passed, here's this week's edition of the Friday Five:

1. What do you most want to be remembered for?
That's a really hard question to answer, these all are this week actually. Yikes. I guess I'd like to be remembered for curing cancer and bringing a peaceful resolution to all conflict in the world. I don't plan on actually doing these things but if folks would like to remember me for doing them, that would be cool.

2. What quotation best fits your outlook on life?
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. What single achievement are you most proud of in the past year?
Losing 40 pounds since January 6, 2003.

4. What about the past ten years?
Opening (and subsequently closing) our restaurant. In 2000 Mark and I opened Ida's Kitchen here in Kingston. It was a huge risk, personally, financially, etc. for us to take and I'm so glad that we did. We only had the restaurant for a year but I learned a lot about myself and about business in general through that experience. Closing the restaurant was perhaps one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do but it was absolutely the right thing to do when we did it. Some would look upon the restaurant closing as a failure but I don't. We tried it, it didn't work at that location, we got out of it on our own and weren't forced out by someone else. Having the restaurant gave me the confidence to make many positive changes in my life.

5. If you were asked to give a child a single piece of advice to guide them through life, what would you say?
Do what makes you happy. You hear people say "follow your bliss" a lot. I believe in it. If you can find something that you enjoy doing, that someone will actually pay you money to do, you have to go for it. If you do what makes you happy, you won't compromise who you are, inside. Staying true to yourself is the most important thing that you can do.

No comments: