Thursday, August 01, 2019

Cancon Thursday - California

Boy but I love me some music by Rufus Wainwright.  Today's Cancon song is California by Mr Wainwright. It's from his second album, 2001's wonderful "Poses."


I've always thought that the video for California was great and love love love this song. It makes reference to two of my favourite female icons from the 70's (Bea Arthur and Rhoda) for a start.  The video is adorable, Rufus is singing his song in a karaoke style and on the monitor/TV, along with the song lyrics, are Rufus and his wonderful sister Martha, in black and white and I'm guessing 30's or 40's clothes. 

For years now I've been a fan of Rufus Wainwright but have never had an opportunity to see him perform.  He's going to be in Kingston next month at the Grand Theatre (tickets went on sale this week) and I'll be in the front row for the show.  To say that I'm excited about it would be a huge understatement.  It's him, solo with a piano.  What more could you want?

Hope you enjoy this sweet, funny video.  Happy Thursday kittens xo

Ain't it a shame
That all the world can't enjoy your mad traditions
Ain't it a shame that all the world
Don't got keys to their own ignitions
Life is the longest death in California 


No comments: