Sunday, December 30, 2007

even the police shop at costco


even the police shop at costco
Originally uploaded by Julep67
We were up sort of late (for us) last night but I couldn't sleep in this morning. Two weeks into my three week vacation and I'm still not sleeping in. Not necessarily a bad thing I suppose.

It was actually good that we were up early because we got out and did some errands before it got busy this morning. I was pretty surprised at how early it was when it started to get busy. It felt pretty good to be ahead of the crush though.

I really like shopping when the stores first open because I generally dislike crowded stores. I dislike them because (and I find that this is particularly bad at costco) folks seem to lose their ever-loving minds when they shop. In costco, people mob around the free piece of sausage lady like this is going to be their last meal on earth. First thing in the a.m., the free sausage / piece of cookie / corner of a rice crispie square people aren't even set up yet.

A down side to early morning shopping is that ladies who douse themselves in smelly perfumes are freshly so. At No Frills, a lady was returning her buggy and Mark offered that we would give her our quarter rather than get it from the cluster. She was lovely and friendly and we set off to do our shopping. I realized when I was cashing out that she had been doused (it wasn't obvious earlier because we were near the door). My hands totally reeked of some old lady perfume. I don't know what it is but it's very popular amongst ladies of a certain vintage. It reminds me of Avon's "Bird of Paradise" but it's not that. It has that same base scent though, I don't know how else to describe it except "blue." It smells blue to me. This is probably because when I was a kid, my mum sold Avon and the Bird of Paradise bottles were blue. I know that blue doesn't smell (well, blue cheese does) but that's what's in my head.

Thank goodness for anti-bacterial gel. I was able to get rid of the perfume smell. I'm really looking forward to the day when I don't have to walk through clouds of smoke when I enter and exit public building and when all public places are designated scent-free. In the meantime, I'll just have to put up with smelly hands, a choking cough and watery eyes.

No comments: