Wednesday, June 30, 2004

hey

Finally, today, we saw Fahrenheit/911. It was supposed to open here on Friday but, for some mysterious reason, it didn't start until today. We went to the first screening actually, this afternoon.

Honestly, I cannot remember a time when I have cried so much during a film. The sounds and images were just heart breaking. I can't say that I learned anything that I'd not either read or heard before but it was amazing how Michael Moore and his team connected the dots. We've known all along exactly how fucked up the Bush administration is but this films really cements, for folks who didn't want to see it before, what's really been happening down south, over the past 3.5 years. Another thing happened at the end of the screening that I can't recall happening in recent years: the entire audience applauded, almost the entire way through the credits at the end!

I was very relieved the other night when the Liberals won the election. I know that it's just a minority government but they're a heck of lot less evil than the Conservatives. It was great to see how much steam the NDP picked up and although my Green's didn't get any seats, they did get enough of the vote overall to qualify for federal funding. I think that the Canadian voters were frightened by what's been happening in the States and didn't want to see Harper get into power and jump into Iraq with Bush.

Anyway, on a lighter note...stolen, with love, from Erin:

Take the quiz: "Which Random Irish Gaelic Phrase Are You? "

Ta mo bhriste tri thine
Ta mo bhriste tri thine - 'My trousers are on fire.'You're a few bricks short of a load, aren't you? You're probably not allowed to use sharp objects and you should be locked in a rubber room. With Rubber rats. Rubber rats? I hate rubber rats. They drive me crazy. Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a rubber room. With rubber rats. Rubber rats? I hate rubber rats...

No comments: