Thursday, November 28, 2002

I just got home from Ryan's funeral. It was sad and funny and beautiful. He had so many friends, such a big family, so many people who loved him. It was an incredible celebration of his life. We cried a lot, and laughed a lot. His folks seem to be doing okay, as well as can be expected. They are exceptionally strong people who have been through a lot on this journey with their son. They have to heal now and fortunately, they have a large network of friends and family to help them.

One particular note about the funeral, on the way from the church to the cemetary, we passed a large group of kids from his elementary school who were standing by the side of the road (wearing their Leafs sweaters and waiting "go leafs go" flags). Waving good-bye to Ryan one last time. It was so touching and sweet, the kind of thing that you can only find in a close-knit, small community like Gananoque.

Of course, events like this are draining. I've been yawning almost constantly since I got home. I find that I start thinking about things that ordinarily, I don't...like, if I died tomorrow, who'd come to my funeral? What kind of a service would I want? I know that I don't want to be embalmed and buried, I plan to be cremated (it's less expensive and more practical I think). I also know that I don't want anything remotely religious. The funeral this morning was a Catholic one. I grew up in the Catholic church but don't support or practice it anymore.

I do know that one of things I have to add to my "to do" list for the new year is to get our wills sorted out. We don't have them done up but we should. Also, I want to make a living will for myself. Neither is as fun as the other things on my list but they're probably the most important items that I'll have to sort out in January.

No comments: