Tuesday, November 19, 2002

I absolutely know that I don't want to have any children. Mark knows this and feels the same way I do. I'm not sure when I changed my mind. When I was a young girl, I always thought that I'd have a child at some point. Around my mid-20's, my mind started to change and I've felt that way ever since. It's not that I hate kids. I like kids that I know. I don't like kids I don't know. I find them to be bold, and noisey, and messy and basically ill-mannered. I usually ask to be seated as far away from kids as I can when I'm in a restaurant because I hate watching little kids eat. Last night we were out for dinner and a young man and his son sat next to us. Now, I don't want you think that I'm humourless or mean, I just don't like little kids. The little boy was trying to convince his dad that he should get to have some dessert. His father informed him that he'd have to eat up the baby carrots on his plate before he could have any. The kid proceeded to shove all of the carrots (about 6) into his mouth (with his fingers) and then chew them up, with his mouth wide open, so his dad could witness his disappearing vegetables trick. It was lovely.

I find that some women look down their noses at me for saying that I don't like children. Of course, these are usually women who have "beautiful" and/or "gifted children." You know the type, their children are so cute/adorable/smart that they just would never annoy anyone. How could they?

I do like older kids, kids who you can talk to. And I enjoy children's television programs (Spongebob Squarepants is a favourite of mine). I also believe strongly that children should be seen and not heard.

Who Lives In A Pineapple Under the Sea



No comments: