Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Way Back Wednesday - Wish You Were Here

For this week's "way back Wednesday" song, I'm sharing a fairly recently recorded version of an old song.  This acoustic version of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" was recorded by Roger Waters and some members of his current band.

This is a song which, for a really long time after Mark died, was hard for me to think about hearing much less actually listen to.  The whole album actually... prior to meeting Mark, it would have been impossible for me to say that I had a favourite Pink Floyd album.  I wasn't really a fan, I dug Syd Barrett but that was the extent of it for me.  As Mark was such a massive fan of Roger's, I quickly became familiar with the entire Pink Floyd / Roger Waters catalogue.  If I had to pick a favourite album, for me, it was "Wish You Were Here."  We used to play it every day in our restaurant, to start the day.  Before the lights were even on in the dining room, the stereo (which was located in the kitchen) would be turned on and the opening notes of the album blasted through the place... it's a musical memory which is seared into my brain.

Because I so closely associate it with Mark, it took me a couple of years to be able to hear it again after he died.  Last week, it was on my mind as I said good bye to my sweet sheltie girl (well really Mark's girl but I loved her too).  As many of you know, she had health issues for many years.  From the time she was quite young, she suffered with osteoarthritis.  Later on, she developed skin growths which were early mast cell tumours.  Add to that general skin issues, serious ear infections and recently, congestive heart failure.  Her poor little body was getting worn out.  She fought a good fight, was always a trooper about vet visits and medications but over the holidays, she was slowing down.  I am still finding it difficult to talk about in any detail but I wanted to share that with you.

It feels incredibly strange to no longer have someone to take care of (besides myself).  If I'm honest, I'm struggling just a little bit with the realization that I've lost Mark, Sam and Gracie within a span of 3 years and a few months.  I'm focusing on the good memories I have, I'm very lucky to have been able to share my life with them for as long as I did.  Dwelling on what I missed out by their absence is not healthy or productive.  Joy, happiness, love, kindness... that's what I want in my life and that's what I put out there.  You absolutely get back what you give, I know that and I experience it on a regular basis.

So, while I may wish that they were all here, I know that they are gone, forever, and I'm making my way without them.  Hope you can find comfort in your warm memories of those you've loved and lost.


1 comment:

Nicole MacPherson said...

Such a beautiful song. xo