Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Way Back Wednesday - Mint Car

When I was in high school, I didn't know anyone else at my school who liked the Cure.  It was the early 1980's, I had friends outside of school who had relatives in the UK who would send them records and magazines so I was into a lot of stuff that my classmates just didn't know about it.  A couple of really evolved guys who rode the bus me referred to it as "f*g" music.  Charming. They listened to a lot of David Wilcox and George Thorogood and didn't understand folks like Elvis Costello, The Cure, The Damned, Joy Division, The Smiths, Ultravox, Japan... well, not really didn't understand more, didn't know who they were so, it must be scary and weird and bad, right?

At that time, if you had told me that sometime in the mid 1990's, Robert Smith would be on American television singing just about the most perfect pop song ever crafted, I would laughed right in your face!!  It's not that they didn't have poppy little gems here and there, it was just impossible for me to imagine that happening...

Alas, it happened.  Today I'm sharing a clip with you from 1996 to prove it.  Every once in a while, I listen to "Mint Car" and think about how much I love this song.  I sometimes forget about how much I love it and then, I remember and listen to it on repeat about 20 times in a row.  The Cure have so many amazing songs but there is something about this, and I have no idea what it is, that gets into my head and just wants to set up camp for a while.  I'm not complaining, it's a good thing, it's just not something I have an explanation for.

This live version, from the Late Show with David Letterman, is lovely.  I hope you enjoy it as much I did.  Happy Way Back Wednesday kiddies xo


No comments: