Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Way Back Wednesday - Drugs In My Pocket

Do you remember when you were a little kid, hearing a song on the radio, liking it, singing a long but not really "getting" it?

I know that there are a lot of songs that I didn't get as a child.  Once I grew up and realized what some of them were about, I remember mostly being amused and not at all embarrassed.  I mean, you don't know what you don't know sometimes right?

A song that would definitely fall onto that list was pretty popular when I was in grade 7 or 8.  I went to a catholic elementary school and I seem to recall that we were not allowed to play this song at our dances (possibly because of the content of the song, more likely because of the cover art from the album "Bad Habits").  Ironically, they had no problem playing Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" at our elementary school dances.

Honestly, I didn't know much about the Monks.  I just knew that they were from the UK and that I liked a couple of their songs.  A friend's stepdad was a fan of Strawbs but I had no idea that some of the guys in the Monks had been in Strawbs.  I just liked "Drugs in my pocket" (the song, I was a good girl, I didn't actually have drugs in my pockets) and listened to it a lot.

Pretty sure that we wouldn't have suffered any permanent damage if the powers that be at Our Lady of Mount Carmel school in Amherstview had allowed us to play it at our dances.  You have to take the music of a band who would have a song called "Nice Legs Shame About Her Face" with a serious grain of salt!! 

Take a listen and let me know if you agree.  Enjoy xo


No comments: