Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Because it's Tuesday - week of February 7

So it's February.

Forever and Ever Amen

The month of January seemed to evaporate. I wish I could say that the month flew by because I was on vacation or doing something super fun, but I can't. My lovely dad passed away last month. It's been a couple of weeks since it happened, and it feels like a million years and five minutes at the same time. Isn't time weird that way?

He had a very brief illness, and his death was sudden and shocking to my family and everyone who loved him. 

Over the weekend, I was thinking about my blog and how much I missed sharing songs with everyone. When I looked at it, I noticed that it had almost been an entire year since I'd updated the page. This year was difficult on a lot of levels. I think that year three of pandemic living really took a toll on the folks who are close to me and me too. Sometimes, life seems a bit closer to normal than it used to be, but when I reach for a mask whenever I enter a public space, I realize that it's still got a long way to go to get there.

So, yeah, that.

I'm hoping (but not promising) to resume regular updates here. 

For my first post of 2023, it happens to be a Tuesday so I'm sharing a cover with you.

Today's song was a big hit back in 1987. It was a favourite of my parents. They loved the song and the video (and my dad used to point out that one of the ladies who was dancing around in the video reminded him of our beloved Aunt Marge Quigley - he was right; she was behaving just as Aunt Marge would have). The song was written by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz and recorded by Randy Travis for his "Always and Forever" album. 

I'm going to share a cover "Forever and Ever, Amen" by the wonderful Ryan Hamilton. You can find it on his "On the Edge" 7"

I've been listening to a lot of stuff over the past couple of weeks that my dad loved. I think he would have enjoyed this non-country version of the Randy Travis classic.

They say time takes its toll on a body
Makes the young girls brown hair turn gray
But honey, I don't care, I ain't in love with your hair
And if it all fell out, well, I'd love you anyway

No comments: