Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Way Back Wednesday - Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'

In the past, I've made this same old corny joke many times: in our house, we were raised on two kinds of music, Country AND Western. 

It's funny and in our case, it's actually true. Between the ages of about 3 and 8 we lived in tight little community of families just like ours. All of the parents were around the same ages and so were the kids. In our situation, we had a lot of neighbourhood moms keeping an eye out for all of us. We definitely felt like we were free-range 70's kids but we were always within earshot or eyeshot of an adult.

I remember some days, usually in the summer, everyone would put their radios in their windows and play the same country radio station. The adults would joke that we all learned how to spell by listening to Tammy Wynette's "D-I-V-O-R-C-E." My folks loved Charley Pride back then (and remained fans of his for years). So, today, for Way Back Wednesday, I'm sharing a song of his that always makes me smile and think of my parents: "Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'"

Released in the fall of 1971, it not only spent a lot of time at the top of the Country Music charts, it also was a cross over hit, spending 4 months on the Pop Charts too. After I got the call that my dad had died (I'd been home from the hospital for a couple of hours to get some sleep), I asked my little smart speaker to play some Charley Pride for me. "Kiss an Angel Good Mornin'" started playing and I just smiled, thinking about my dad and remembering those summer days with the radios in the windows.

It's a great song and one that I think, if it were to be released today, would be a big hit again. 

Though people may try to guess, the secret of our happiness
But some of them never learn it's a simple thing
The secret I'ma speaking of, is a woman and a man in love
And the answer is in this song that I always sing

No comments: