Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Way Back Wednesday - Don't Drop Out

How did yesterday go?

Do you have a little chocolate hangover, or are you planning to scour the stores today in search of "prices to clear" heart-shaped boxes of candy? Guess it's time to start waiting for chocolate bunnies to go on sale. Funny how our holidays all seem to revolve around candy isn't it?

So, once again, it's time for Way Back Wednesday. On Wednesdays, I share songs that are 20+ years old (although typically, the stuff I share here is older than that).

Today, I'm sharing a song by one of the best female singers ever, Ms Dolly Parton. "Don't Drop Out" was released as a single in March of 1966 on Monument Records. It's a poppy, funky song and not at all country. It's definitely got that girl-pop sound from the mid-60s. When I played it for my mum recently, she said it reminded her of another great girl singer, Petula Clark. I can hear that too. It was arranged and produced by Ray Stevens. I wasn't able to find out if it charted back in 1966. I know it's in heavy rotation at my house right now. Check it out, while it's distinctly "Dolly," it's also not her typical sound.

My parents say you're lazy but you can be smart if you try
And I know you've got a heart cause you've never ever made me cry
They say you're no good so baby do what you should
And stay here by my side oh darlin'


No comments: