Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Because It's Tuesday - week of February 25

When I was a kid, Saturday Night Fever was a big thing. It was a huge, hit movie, and the soundtrack was literally everywhere.  I think that for most kids my age (id kids born in the late 60's / early 70's) it was the first time we had been exposed to The Bee Gees.  It was a long time after that, when I learned that the The Bee Gees were gigantic in Australia and had released many hit records prior to the release of the Saturday Nigh Fever soundtrack.

Aww kids, we don't know what we don't know. As a 10 year old growing up in suburban Ontario, I certainly had no clue that today's song had been a hit for them.

The song I'm sharing today is a cover of that1967 hit, "Massachusetts" by the wonderful Ladybug Transistor. Originally released in 1998 as a b-side to their "Today Knows" 7", it was also included in the super amazing compilation CD "Oh, Merge: A Merge Records 10 Year Anniversary Compilation" in 1999. I really prefer this version to the one by the Brother's Gibb. I hope you enjoy it too xo


Tried to hitch a ride to San Francisco
Gotta do the things I wanna do
And the lights all went out in Massachusetts
They brought me back to see my way with you


No comments: