Friday, June 15, 2018

Not Guilty, Just Pleasure - Etta's Tune

The River and The Thread is a gorgeous album. It was fascinating to hear Ms Cash talk about the album when I saw her perform back in February.

She told a little story about Marshall and Etta Grant. Marshall was her dad's original bass player in the Tennessee Two. Marshall and Etta were married for 65 years. Every morning of their marriage, he woke up and asked her "what's the temperature darling?" - and that's the first line of the song I'm sharing today.

This particular version is performed with her super talented husband John Leventhal for a "one mic, one take" video. It sounds a lot like how they played it together at the Grand Theatre earlier this year.

Today's a difficult day for me, a bit of a sad anniversary.  It's heart warming for me to hear a song that was inspired by a long and loving marriage like Marshall and Etta's.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Happy weekend kiddies xo

No comments: