Wednesday, June 20, 2007

not very bloggy


playing on the compost heap
Originally uploaded by Julep67
I haven't felt much like posting here over the past few days. I probably should have though, to at least get a record of how I've been feeling down. Unfortunately, I've been overwhelmed with sadness about the murder which took place on Sunday morning.

I help out the Kingston Area Taxi Operators Association by updating their webpage. I've been keeping it updated with articles from our local newspaper about the murder.

The cab community here in town is tight. Not everyone knows everyone by name necessarily but they mostly know each other to say hello or nod when two cars pass in the street. When an act of violence is committed against a cabbie, everyone feels it. This murder has left me feeling numb. I still cannot believe it has happened.

Neither Mark nor I slept very well on Monday night. On Monday, when I couldn't get ahold of him on his phone, I sort of freaked out. The killer is still at large and I'm really feeling nervous about that. His phone battery has been going for a while and I've been putting off replacing his phone because I thought it would be too expensive. After work on Monday, we went directly to the phone place and upgraded his phone. It's a better phone and is way more reliable than the one he'd been using. It only cost us $11 too, so I was silly to have put it off for so long. Funny how a tragedy can make you move huh?

The cab driver murder was not an isolated act of insanity over the weekend. On Friday, an HIV+ woman bit a cop (a friend of mine witnessed the whole thing, the poor woman was crazed apparently). On Saturday, someone was stabbed leaving a mall in the city's west end. Also on Saturday, another person robbed a pharmacy at knifepoint.

It feels like there are some really bad drugs in town. That's the only thing I can think of which would explain all of these strange, violent acts happening at the same time. I hope that's it anyway. I hope that a chemical issue is responsible for these senseless acts. If it's not, well that would just hurt my heart a little too much to even think about right now.

No comments: