Monday, June 11, 2007

start of a summer storm


start of a summer storm
Originally uploaded by Julep67
Because I'm nosey and like to know what is going on at City Hall, a few years ago I signed up for their newsletter. It's handy in some ways because I'm always in the loop about road closures and planned power outages. It's also silly because I receive notices about all kinds of municipal events which I would never participate in.

Many of you may have heard that our town leaders are attempting to build a large venue event complex in the downtown area. While I agree that Kingston does need a venue like this, I'm not a huge fan of the location. Having said that, I've been amused at some of the fundraising efforts that the city is making to fund this project. The best one so far, I received a notice about in my inbox for today.

In their infinite wisdom, the city is holding a free concert starring April Wine and Kim Mitchell. Now, I've seen both of these folks before. April Wine I saw in August 1981 with my high school buddies, I think I was in college in the late 80's when we saw Kim Mitchell in a bar. Neither one was terrific but they were mildly amusing for the time. I cannot imagine going to see them now, even if the event is free.

Apparently, commemorative tshirts will be sold and the proceeds from the shirt sales will go to the arena project. This makes no sense to me. Why not charge for the concert and sell tshirts at the same time? This just seems really odd to me. I get why they probably figure that they won't sell any tickets to this show but I can't for the life me imagine that they will actually sell enough shirts to make this worthwhile. Kingston is full of gawkers, even on the start of a long weekend and these folks will not want to put their hands in their pockets for a tshirt commermorating a half-rate concert.

Then again, what the hell do I know? I actually thought that the new arena should be built somewhere with parking. Foolish huh?

1 comment:

taxi chef said...

right arm sista
you tell them what they gots to know