Tuesday, November 01, 2005

happy first of the month!

I should have probably popped in and wished you all a happy halloween yesterday but I didn't. We did have halloween here yesterday though, wishes or not. Approximately 130 little trickertreaters knocked on our door last night. As this is our first year in the new house, we weren't quite sure what to expect. Last year, we were living on the "main street" of our neighbourhood. It's quite busy and I would get around 100 kids at the door. We're now on a side-street and I saw a lot more traffic last night than I ever remember seeing before. Our street was full of cars and vans and there were groups of kids all over the place. Even the parents got into it, many of them were in costume too. It was nice to see.

We had pretty good decorations at our place. You know that they are good when you really scare the little wee ones. We only had a couple of kids who wouldn't come up onto the porch. Mark had set a strobe light up, in the basement window, so it flashed on the steps. I also had a lights display in the living room window, a glow in the dark skeleton (with flashing green eyeballs) hanging in the door and we had this weird skeleton wind chime too. He had a motion sensor and whenever you went near him, he would shake and make spooky noises and flash lights - red ones from his eyes and blue ones from his mouth. We hung him on the porch in such a way that his head would bang against the hand rail. It made the whole thing vibrate a little bit. It was pretty entertaining for the kids I think.

For the last 20 minutes or so, I handed out 2 bags of chips to each kid, to try and get rid of them, so I only have about 6 bags left. The worst thing to me, about halloween, is having all of that junk in the house. By 7 p.m., it was all over. I took the decorations down this morning. Guess we'll soon have to think about the winter holiday decorations next. It's really hard to believe that it's November already.

No comments: