Monday, November 28, 2005

dysfunctional card


new video card
Originally uploaded by Julep67.
Over the weekend, Mark picked up a new video card for my computer. We recently upgraded our monitors and wanted to upgrade the video card too. I had to take a picture of it because I was in awe of the fact (silly I know) that it had it's very own built-in fan.

Poor Mark, the plan was for him to put the new card (an ATI X800 I think, I'm no good with all the names) into my machine and take my "old" ATI 9800 card into his machine. This way, we'd both have PVR on our machines, blah blah blah...well, we think that something is wonky on the new card. First off, it was supposed to come with some kind of adapter and it didn't, so Mark had to go back to the store to pick it up. Once he had the adapter, the dual monitor thing wasn't working properly. He picked up a second adapter yesterday and the same thing happened so we're thinking that there is something wrong with the actual card. We have to wait until later in the week to get a replacement. It's working okay right now but it's not doing all the stuff that it's supposed to be doing. Fun times huh?

As far as the new monitor goes, it's soooo nice to finally have a flat panel screen at home. I may not have to buy a new desk afterall. Once the new monitor was installed, I got a huge chunk of desk top space back. Now all I need to do is get my office properly organized and cleared of cardboard boxes. I think that'll have to wait until my vacation (which starts on December 16).

No comments: