Tuesday, March 22, 2005

This debate about the Terri Schiavo case is making me go insane. I totally get that her parents love her but folks, she's in a vegetative state. Keeping her body alive isn't keeping her with you. I'm not exactly sure why this particular case has exploded in the way it has. Hundreds of people are disconnected from feeding tubes every week in the US, it's sad, for sure, but it happens.

I'm particularly bothered by the US government's involvement in what should be a family matter. When this same government is directly responsible for the deaths of 108 prisoners who have died while in their charge, Bush's stand on the Shiavo case feels hypocritical to me. This guy came back from his vacation to sign the Shiavo bill, something he did not do when the tsunami in South-East Asia hit over the Christmas break. It just makes my blood boil to see Bush & Co. catering to a fanatical sect (his "base") which supports prolonging Ms Schiavo's life. They surely aren't representing the interests of the population as a whole. Most traditionally conservative people in the US don't want to see this poor woman's life dragged out any longer than it already has been. These fanatics only seem to care about life when it's starting out or it's ending but not so much about what happens in the middle. Arrrggh!!

Two words folks: LIVING WILL

One thing that made me smile today: We're a little bit closer to actually buying this new house. We had a very promising meeting with our bank manager last night. I should have some very good news to report very soon.

No comments: