Friday, March 29, 2019

Not Guilty Just Pleasure - Your Dog

Do you ever hear a song for the first time and it just gives you the chills?

Yeah?

So you listen to it again thinking, yeah, I was just cold.

Chills, again.

Chills on the third listen, the fourth, the twentieth...

Your Dog by Soccer Mommy did/does that for me.  It's got just the most chunky baseline and her voice, well I love her voice.

I've been listening to a lot of female made music recently and am so pleased to discover that there is literally an endless line-up of women who are making just kick ass music.  Good stuff, amazing.

Good and amazing not because they are women, good and amazing because they are talented musicians and song writers.

"Your dog" is an angry song, anger is an excellent thing and it's expressed here very well.  When asked what it's about, song writer Sophie Allison said, "That song is about nobody giving a fuck about you"  Indeed.  Not giving a fuck can be the worst thing you can do to someone sometimes. 

I had already listened to "Your Dog" about 100 times before I saw the video.  It's a pretty fucked up video, I'd say that whatever the guy in the video did to her (or didn't do to her), he probably had it coming.  Yeah, I know, easy to say, but seriously, it's a VIDEO, a piece of art so whether he deserves it or not doesn't really matter because it's fiction. Either way, it makes the video for "Janie's Got A Gun" look like the Blind Melon "bee girl" video.

I'm not a prop for you to use
When you're lonely or confused
I want a love that lets me breathe
I've been choking on your leash

I'm sharing the video, be warned, there is some mild violence in it.  I'd love to know if the song gives you chills like it does me.  Happy Friday kiddos, enjoy some Soccer Mommy xo


No comments: