Thursday, March 14, 2019

Cancon Thursday - People of the Sky

At the beginning of the week, I made a list for myself. It contained the songs I was going to share here this week.  Looking at the list now, I realize that I was way off.  I'm not sticking to the list at all.  I'll not say what was on the list because I may use those songs another week but boy, what I had in mind on Monday was completely different to what I'm sharing now.

Thursday.

Cancon day.

Does it get much more cancon-y than Sloan?  Four lovely lads from Nova Scotia who have been rocking it out for us for almost 30 years.

In the 1990's, I lost of count of how many times I saw them perform.  Each show was awesome for completely different reasons.  I saw them in different cities than my own, on various tours... some shows had gorilla masks, others had parents politely sitting at tables of 10 while their kids danced around.

Forever and ever, my favourite Sloan album will be "Twice Removed."  That was a weird time.  Kept hearing tales that this would be their final album, farewell tour, fuck you Geffen, they were breaking up... super stressful for devoted Sloan fans who feared losing all of the potential kickass music that their favourite band had to offer... all of that drama aside, I have to tell you why I love "twice removed" so much...first of all, I love every single song on that record.  Also, it came along at a time in my life where I was having so much fun in my life.  I had a job I loved, I was going to shows a couple of times a week... I had seriously the best friends on the planet.  I was part of a big tribe of music nerds and there was more new/awesome music coming our way every day than we could listen to... well, almost.

I can't say that I have a favourite song from "Twice Removed." Even if I did, I couldn't say it, that would be like asking a parent which of their children they like best. They probably have a favourite but they wouldn't admit it.

I did have to pick a song so, I'm sharing an Andrew song with you today, "People of the Sky." It's a great song, has a super video and if hearing it inspires you to go listen to the rest of the album, I'll be a happy kid.


enjoy xo

With support all around him
Like a fence or a drink
He realizes in sadness
That now he must begin to think


No comments: