Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Way Back Wednesday - Steal Away

When I was in 8th grade (I think), one of my favourite songs was Robbie Dupree's "Steal Away."

I also remember really liking "Woman" by John Lennon, "He's so shy" by the Pointer Sisters, "Rock Lobster" by the B-52's and "It's Still Rock'n'Roll to Me" by Billy Joel.

"Steal Away" was a song I could listen to over and over again.  I didn't know that "Yacht Rock" was a thing, maybe it wasn't back then, I think it was called "soft rock" or just "music." I see now that stuff like that (in addition to several Hall and Oates songs I liked) have been categorized as "Yacht Rock" and given all of that sailing Christopher Cross sang about back in the day, it's not too surprising.  In grade 8, I was still listening to the local AM radio station a lot (Much Music wasn't a thing yet) and you can certainly tell that it was a big influence on what I liked in 1980.

Watching this video again after a really long time, and listening to the song again, I feel like I need a box of triscuits to go with the cheese.  It actually sounds a ridiculous amount like "What A Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers.  I'm not going to lie, I still really enjoy it.  It's super cheesey though and unlike other songs I've talked about on Wednesdays, this is not a classic for the ages.  Sorry Robbie Dupree, you're no Buddy Holly.  Not that you ever claimed to be but as I wrote recently, his music has a timeless quality that is hard to achieve.

On that note, I hope you have some crackers handy.  Enjoy the Yacht Rock classic, "Steal Away." xo


No comments: