Thursday, June 30, 2005

long night

We just got home from the emergency room. I'm completely braindead and exhausted but I'm not quite ready to sleep at the moment, there is so much swirling around in my head.

Last night, after Mark got off the phone with some of the nursing / home care folks, I called the telehealth nurses again. One of the ladies Mark had talked to said that if Joe's tongue seemed swollen, that he probably was dehydrated and that, given his pre-existing health conditions, we should get him to the hospital. While I was stayed on the line with her, she contacted the ambulance dispatch. The paramedics got here around 8 p.m. As luck would have it, they had a student with them. This student was an ER resident two years ago when Joe went in with a dissection in his aorta and had worked on him. Not only that, this young lad grew up on the same street Joe lived on (in Toronto) for 30 years. Small town huh??

Anyway, we're still not quite sure what is going on. He's definitely dehydrated and they are keeping him in the emergency room tonight. Tomorrow we'll go back in and find out if they know anymore than they do now. I think I'm actually starting to feel sleepy, which is good, because right about now, Mark and I have been up for 23 hours. That's too long folks, trust me.

No comments: