Sunday, February 06, 2005

more movies

Saturday night...
So, we saw Million Dollar Baby last night. It's been a long time since either of us had been to the pictures on a Saturday night. It seems, in Kingston anyway, that the dregs of humanity crawl out from under their rocks and meet up at the Cineplex on Saturdays. For us, matinee going types, it was a little strange to see the parade of teen agers mixed with aging headbangers and the uber elderly.

Million Dollar Baby

So far, we've seen three of the Best Picture Oscar contenders. In my opinion, Million Dollar Baby is the best of the three (the other two being Ray and Sideways). I thought that all three films were terrific in their own way but MDB really stayed with me, all night and into the morning. It's a powerful film and wasn't at all what I expected. I'll say no more because I don't want to be a "spoiler."

Sunday morning...

When I first read about "Spun" (in the New York Times I think), I thought that it sounded interesting. I wish that it had been.

Spun

This morning I was doing a bunch of chores, laundry and the like. I found out that our "movies on demand" channel was showing Spun so I turned it on. It didn't have much of a story, visually, the choppy editing and cartoons became boring really quickly. Now don't get me wrong, I really like Mena Suvari but I did not need to see her taking a crap. The parts of the movie which were interesting were outnumbered by the parts which were just dumb (like the TV cops who were trying to find the meth lab). Never having tried methamphetamines maybe I just didn't "get" what they were trying to do. I've never tried heroine either and I think I understood "Trainspotting" just fine. The one nice thing about it is that when I would occasionally leave the room to tend to the laundry or the dishes, I didn't miss a thing.

No comments: