Thursday, February 03, 2005

house bound no more

After five weeks of hibernating, we finally got Mark's dad to leave the house on Tuesday night. He actually went outside and walked to the car, got inside, went to a restaurant and ate dinner. I didn't think it would happen until spring but hey, you just never know. Early in January, he was having problems with his back and he pretty stayed in bed for 2 weeks. The past 3 weeks though, I think he just didn't want to go outside. Unfortunately, this means that now, his blood is super thin and the cold is really getting to him. He's sort of turned into that boy-who-cried-wolf. Whenever he doesn't want to do something, he says that his back is bothering him. I tend not to believe him some days though. He can move around just fine and doesn't make those yelping, old-guy noises. I think that the house is just way to comfortable for him. It's weird. I cannot imagine not wanting to go outside. All he does, literally, is watch TV all day. It's his life, what he chooses to do with it is entirely up to him though. I might not think it's a great thing to do but I'm done with wasting my breath trying to convince him otherwise.

We've been invited to an event in a couple of weeks which I have affectionately dubbed, "the passive-aggressive spite party." Doesn't that sound like fun? Some old friends of Mark's are having kind of a mini-reunion for reasons that are a little weird, they seem weird to me anyway. This may sound really sand box but my take on it is that one of the guys is pissed that a couple of the guys are hanging out together and aren't including him in their "play dates." Ugh. Grade five was sooo long ago. I don't know if there will be some kind of confrontation between the hurt guy and the two or three offending friends or not. He's not really the "confronting-type," if you know what I mean. Whatever happens, it'll probably be entertaining. I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to having some amusing anecdotes to share when it's behind us. Watch this space.

One thing that made me smile today: I work with many volunteers in my line. The folks who live around here, we get to know quite well. One local gentleman is a particular sweetheart who all of us think is pretty nifty. Today, as he does every year, he came in with little heart shaped boxes of Russell Stover's for us. I need the candy like I need a hole in my head but he's so sweet to do this for us every year. He's just a lovely man!

No comments: