Wednesday, February 02, 2005

hymn for the alcohol

Hefner's in rotation today, heavily. I downloaded two songs, a couple of weeks ago, that they recorded in December. They reunited for the Keeping It Peel show and played "hymn for the alcohol" and "the librarian." They sounded terrific, I thought. I love the sound of Darren's voice, I love the way they sound when they all play together. When the announcer was introducing them and was asking them how long it had been since they had played together, Darren commented that they had rehearsed in the hallway earlier in the day and that "hefner songs are easy, a three year old can play 'em. It's no trouble at all." I think that the beauty in their songs is in the simplicity. It's like the video for "Good Fruit." I can literally watch that clip over and over and over again.

I have to say, I'm really glad that I added a bunch of new CD's to my playlist here at the office. Mostly, I lump everything together and just play them on shuffle. I like not knowing if I'm going to hear Dusty Springfield or Pavement. When everything else in the office is crazy and going nuts, it's nice to have a little oasis under my headphones.

One thing that made me smile today: It's hump day. I don't like to wish the week way but boy, I'm looking forward to taking a rest this weekend. It's nuts around here!!

No comments: