Monday, January 31, 2005

sideways

I'm the worst person in the world to write movie reviews. Because of this, I won't "review" sideways but I will say this, I enjoyed it. Not being a wine drinker, I'll admit that I was afraid that the lingo might sail over my head. It wasn't a problem though and the story was great. Both Mark and I are huge Sandra Oh fans and we agreed that she looked totally hot and was great in the role of Maya. The film itself was beautifully photographed. It reminded me of French films from the 60's and 70's. Of course, I think it would have been really difficult to make California vineyards look bad.

Over the past few years, we've not seen any of the Best Picture contenders for the Oscars, leading up to the actual ceremonies. This year, coincidentally, we've seen two already (the other being Ray). We also plan to see Million Dollar Baby, hopefully this weekend. Mark's a big Clint fan and we've been wanting to see this particular film since we first heard about it (I sure loves me a good boxing movie). I saw Hilary Swank on 60's minutes last night, being interviewed about it and the clips I saw look great. Who knows, by the time the Oscar broadcast rolls around, we may have seen all five films.

One thing that made me smile today: It was such a busy day today it's hard to think back to something that actually made me smile. Right now, the only thing I can think of (and it's pretty significant really) is seeing Mark when I left the office tonight. He always makes me smile.

No comments: