Saturday, January 01, 2005

a new and improved year

Happy New Year everyone.

So, it's 2005. To me, it feels like 2004 only sunnier. I say that because the sun is actually shining here. The temperature is crazy warm. All of our snow has melted and the roads are clear and dry. It's freaky but I like this new year. It all virginal, shiney and new and full of promise and nice weather. So far, so good.

We didn't do any big celebrating last night. Mark had to start work at 4 a.m. today so we were in bed by 9:30 p.m. I had set the alarm for 3:21 a.m. Sadly, I didn't trust the alarm, or myself and kept waking up every 45-60 minutes to check the time. By the time I actually woke him up at 3:28 a.m., I was completely awake. Overtired was the problem I guess. He left for work, I stayed up until a little after 5 and then went back to bed. It took me until almost 7 to fall asleep and then, I only slept for about an hour or so. Surprisingly, I'm not too tired. I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight though.

Because we knew we'd be having an early night last night, we made no plans for even a special meal. On Thursday, we picked up some lobster tails and were planning to have a really fancy/nice meal tonight. Unfortunately, Joe's still feeling like hammered shit (although much improved hammered shit over the way he'd been feeling on Thursday and Friday) so we're putting it off until tomorrow. Fortunately, the lobster is frozen. Mark's going to cook the lobster, I'm making scalloped potatoes. I'm not sure what vegetable we'll have but I'm sure it'll be lovely when it all comes together.

Thinking about the new year for me, is really thinking about spring. Now that January has arrived, it's really not that long until spring arrives again. For some reason, for me anyway, November and December always drag on and on. Once the solstice is behind us, and the days start to get longer again, all I can focus on is spring. I love seeing the tulips and daffodils pop up, the grass get greener, the buds pop out on our lilac bush. Please don't think I'm wishing the year away or anything, winter is fine in it's own frosty way. I just really love spring and am particularly excited about it this year.

One thing that made me smile today: The Simpsons Season 5 DVD. Mark got it for Christmas. We started watching disc one this afternoon when he got home from work. It's such a great season, we've been laughing our butts off watching it.

No comments: